Transitioning from a home in the suburbs to a crowded apartment in the city can be a difficult task. While it would be ideal to pack up and take all of your belongings, there isn’t a very good chance that everything will fit into your smaller space. Flannery’s Handymen has a few tips to help you to utilize your new space without too much clutter.
- As you prepare to move, you’re going to want to make a measurement list. This list should include various measurements of your new home. From wall lengths and widths to ceiling heights, you want to gather any measurements you may need. Next, measure the furniture you plan to move with you and jot down the dimensions. If you own bulky or large pieces, you may want to invest in some smaller items. Be sure to check your stairwells to ensure that everything will be able to make it through!
- Invest in multipurpose furniture that can offer you more than one purpose in your apartment. If you purchase these items wisely, you’ll not only save apartment space, but you can save money too. For example, when purchasing a TV stand, look for one with built-in shelves or drawers for additional storage. Another great multipurpose piece of furniture is a bed frame with built-in storage. You can store anything from pieces of clothing to extra bedding or sheets here.
- One of the best ways to utilize space in your apartment is to install shelves. When you don’t have enough space to add a bookcase, shelves are the way to go!
- One of the biggest issues we find in apartment bedrooms is the closet door. Typically, the door will swing outward and can prevent you from adding an additional piece of furniture. Reach out to your landlord and see if they’d be willing to install a bi-fold or sliding door instead. Another option is to just completely take the door off and hang up a curtain instead.
- While it’s easier said than done, the best way to maximize your smaller apartment is to get rid of things! You may still have trophies from middle school or a high school sweatshirt, but ask yourself, when’s the last time you used those things? For items that are sentimental and you can’t bear to part with permanently, consider storing them in our U-Fill storage container!
Without correctly de-cluttering, your new, smaller space is only going to seem smaller. If you have an upcoming move and are interested in our moving or storage services, contact Flannery’s Handymen today! Fill out our online contact form or call us at 781-775-9943 for your free estimate.