With warmer weather approaching, it can only mean one thing: spring cleaning! Spring cleaning is a great way to get your home ready before a big move. Check out our tips on decluttering before your move.
Why Should I Spring Clean?
When it comes to spring cleaning, you need to be in the right mindset and be motivated for it. Below are some of our top reasons to declutter your home and keep your motivation level high.
- Decluttering leads to fewer items that you need to store. You’ll add more space to your home by eliminating any items you no longer need.
- You can increase cash flow by selling any unwanted items. Another option is to donate them for a tax write off.
- If you have fewer things to move, you most likely won’t be charged as much by a moving company.
- If you are staging your home when selling it, it will look larger with less clutter in it!
Room by Room Decluttering
Typically, when homeowners decide to get started with decluttering, they want to get it all done in one big swoop. This can cause you to get burnt out, guaranteeing that nothing is completed. You should take it one room at a time and give yourself plenty of time to do a thorough job. Throw out or donate any duplicate or unused items that haven’t been used in some time.
Eliminate Any Junk
After the excess items are removed from your home, there are a couple different ways to get rid of it.
- For items that might be worth something, post them to eBay or Craigslist. It’s surprising what some people will offer for things that you’re thinking of throwing out. An alternative to posting to a website is hosting a good old fashion yard sale!
- If you don’t feel like selling your excess items, donate any items that are in good condition. Items can be donated to places like The Salvation Army, Goodwill or a local charity.
- Give it to family members or friends who may need the item that you are trying to get rid of.
- If you have damaged or outdated items that you don’t think anyone will want you should just throw it away. Reach out to your local waste management company to ask about their policies for disposing of larger items.
As you work on decluttering, reorganize any of your items that will be staying. Make sure that items are being stored where it’s convenient for you. Make sure to give your rooms a good cleaning as you declutter and reorganize.
Now that you have decluttered your home, it’s time to hire a moving company! Flannery’s Handymen can offer a free estimate whether it’s a local move to Nahant, or a long distance move. We also provide U-fill storage containers for any boxes that are packed before it’s time to move. Contact us at 781-775-9943 or fill out our contact form for more information!