To avoid expensive and major home repairs, it is important to keep your gutters clean. You may think that a couple of leaves are harmless, but think again! The main job of gutters is to control the water around your home. By not cleaning out leaves and twigs, you’re depriving gutters of doing the job at hand, thus leading to some serious issues.
- If you have clogged gutters, the moisture can cause damage to the wood fascia around the home. If you don’t eliminate the leak by cleaning your gutters, the area can worsen.
- When extra water is found on the foundation wall, is can weaken the footing and result with cracks in your foundation. This is especially true during the winter when excess water freezes and causes the condition frost heave to occur. Frost heave can cause serious cracks to the walls of your foundation.
- Excess water from overflowing gutters can cause grass and plants to deteriorate and eventually die.
- When your gutters overflow with water, it eventually will gather around the foundation of your home. This is the number one reason for basement water issues.
- When a blogged gutter spout is pointing towards your driveway is can cause your driveway to crack and sag.
- Excess gutter water on sidewalks can freeze during colder months and become a hazard for people walking.